English had been a part of the curriculum since the inception of the College. But, it was only in 1953 that the undergraduate course in English Language & Literature was started. Six years later the postgraduate programme in English Language & Literature was launched. The Department played a crucial role in designing and realizing the triple - main B. A. Communicative English course for the Mahatma Gandhi University in 1993. The Department is equipped with a language laboratory that offers training in language skills to the students of all undergraduate courses. In 1999, the Department became a Research Centre vide order no. 3311/AC.A.VI/1998 dated 12.2.1999.