The Department of Physics came into being in 1959 with the starting of B.Sc. Degree Programme. 1965 saw the launching of the postgraduate course. Dr. George M. Thomas was the ‘genius loci’ of the department under whose guidance the department grew. ‘The George M. Thomas Endowment Trust’ initiated in honour of its great maestro, caters to the academic needs of students and teachers of Physics. The Department is a Research Centre of the M. G. University from the year 1987 .