The Department of Zoology had its inception in 1955 with the starting of the B.Sc. Degree Programme. Till then, it was part of what was then called Natural Science. It was in 1982 that the M.Sc. Degree Programme started. The Department is the head quarters of the Zoological Society of Kerala, an organization of Zoology teachers of all the colleges affiliated to Mahatma Gandhi University. The building in which the Department is housed was the generous gift of Dr. P. E. Thomas, Palampadom. The Department became a Research Centre of the M.G. University in 1985 vide order no. Ac.AII/1/85.
The department envisions to foster critical thinking and learning process that cut across various disciplines of biological sciences nurturing love for nature and its inherent values towards sustainable future.