Inauguration of CMS Rewild Project Phase 1: QR Coded Digital Tree Inventory
In Collaboration with Social Forestry Kottayam Division, Kerala Forest Department
Rt. Rev. Dr. Malayil Sabu Koshy Cherian Bishop of CSI Madhya Kerala Diocese,
Jayarajan Rajasekharan Nair (Jayaraj) Film Maker and founder of the Birds Club International,
Dr. R. Pragash Deputy Director, Deputy Directorate of Collegiate Education, Kottayam & Principal, Government College, Kottayam
Dr. G Prasad Assistant Conservator of Forests, Kottayam Social Forestry Division
• Each tree in the college campus has been QR-coded allowing the community members and visitors to view its botanical name, a common name in English and in vernacular language, ecological and taxonomic descriptions, medicinal importance, etc using a smartphone.
• Digitisation of the floristic diversity of the college campus was done in association with the Social Forestry Wing of Kerala Forests Department.
• About 200 species of trees has already been identified.
• Further work is in progress to create a digital plant library of the campus with more than 500 species of plants and to map and manage their data using GPS and Geographical Information Systems (GIS) technologies.
• Mapping of Bird species diversity with Tree species diversity to be done in association with Birdsclub International